Wednesday 13 June 2007

The fear of public speaking (and why you should overcome this)

I wonder how you would feel about getting up and talking
to a room full of strangers? According to Business Networking
Strategist, Andy Lopata, most people would rather die than
become a public speaker!

However - this is one of the best ways of attracting
customers / clients. (I find about a third of my clients via my
seminars and public speaking events. The last three have all
found me this way).

Public speaking is a learned skill. If you want to find out
how to improve your 'platform skills', check out Toastmasters.
They will help you to become a better speaker (for a
remarkably low investment).

Take every opportunity to talk to groups of people who
belong to your target market. Talk with passion and
enthusiasm. Don't worry if you stumble: just keep talking!

Here is a tip for you: Mind Map your presentation.

I wish you all the best with your marketing!

All the best,
Nigel
www.nigeltemple.com

1 comment:

Andy Lopata said...

Nigel, you are absolutely right, overcoming a fear of public speaking can help you market your business in so many ways.

Many networking events offer opportunities for members to take 'a minute to win it' or even give a longer presentation. Yet so many businesses shy away from this marketing gift because of nerves.

If you have a longer presentation, mindmapping certainly helps, I have done this a number of times and it is extraordinarily powerful.

I have both raised my profile and won a lot of business through speaking at networking events. I went to one event last night that I spoke at four months ago. I didn't have to make the effort to approach anyone all night, people came up to me, and the organiser said that they were still getting excellent feedback that night.

Where can you buy that level of marketing?